Free CLE Webcast: First Amendment Issues in K12 Education
Richard P. Clem Continuing Legal Education
Free On-demand CLE webcast
CLE credit has approved in the following jurisdictions. CLE credit will be valid through December 31, 2012.
This program was originally presented in St. Paul, MN, on September 21, 2012. This audio program runs approximately 50 minutes. Click Here to View the Course Description
- Wisconsin: One on-demand credit approved.
- Iowa: 0.75 credit approved: video version only
(Iowa Activity # 92496).
- New York: One credit available through reciprocity with Wisconsin.
- Credit is available in other states, but is the responsibility of the participant. Please contact me if I can assist you with obtaining credit in your state.
To participate in this online program for CLE credit, please follow the following steps:
- Download the written course materials at the following link:
- Download the audio or video program. Persons taking the program for Wisconsin credit may download either the video or the audio version. If you are taking the program for Iowa credit, you must download the video version of the program
- During the program, there will be two sets of code words. One set of three code words will be spoken during the lecture. Another set of three code words will be shown on the screen during the video presentation. Write down either the audio code words or the video code words. If you are taking the program for Iowa credit, you must use the video code words.
- If you have any substantive questions regarding the program, you may send them via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. I will respond within two business days, and also post your question and answer on the discussion forum shown below.
- If you have any comments or questions that you would like to share with other participants and with the presenter, please post them on the Yahoo discussion forum for this CLE. I will respond online within two business days. The discussion forum is at the following link:
- If you desire a certificate of completion, e-mail the three code words to me at email@example.com. I will return your certificate of completion by e-mail. I need to send the certificate manually, so please allow a day or two. Please include any information you need included in the certificate, such as your name, address, or state bar number.
- If you found this program helpful, please visit my
main CLE page for information about other inexpensive CLE programs, including telephone conference calls, other webcasts, and live programs in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and other states.
First Amendment Issues in K-12 Education. This program will be a brief overview of First Amendment issues affecting K-12 public education. We'll cover some of the leading cases from the U.S. Supreme Court, the Eighth Circuit, and other courts. Topics will include: school speech, establishment clause, free exercise clause, clothing, school newspapers and yearbooks, distribution of literature, student clubs, off-campus speech, book censorship, and the pledge of allegiance. 50 Minutes. Originally presented in St. Paul, MN, September 21, 2012.
The program is presented by Richard P. Clem. He has a B.A. in history from the University of Minnesota, and a J.D., cum laude, from Hamline University School of Law. He has been in private practice in the Twin Cities for over 20 years. His reported cases include: Asociacion Nacional de Pescadores a Pequena Escala o Artesanales de Colombia v. Dow Quimica de Colombia, 988 F.2d 559, rehearing denied, 5 F.3d 530 (5th Cir. 1993), cert. denied, 510 U.S. 1041 (1994); LaMott v. Apple Valley Health Care Center, 465 N.W.2d 585 (Minn. Ct. App. 1991); Abo el Ela v. State,468 N.W.2d 580 (Minn. Ct. App. 1991).
Return to my main page
Return to my CLE page
Send me an e-mail.
Copyright 2012, Richard P. Clem Continuing Legal Education
PO Box 14957
Minneapolis, MN 55414